Wednesday 10 January 2007

Resolutions

One of my friends suggested that people who write blogs are, well, a little bit keen on themselves. My amazing comeback to this was surprisingly flaccid, so I won't embarrass myself by repeating it. However, among other things, I hailed the convenience of blogs for people who like us have a large but close-knit family and are separated by thousands of miles. Blogs are ideal in these circumstances for sharing pictures and thoughts without pelting one another with a hailstorm of emails.

So when I toyed with the possibility of discussing my New Year's resolutions, I experienced a bit of thought reflux as my friend's remark recurred to me like the fenugreek in last night's curry. My blog isn't meant to be a showcase for self-indulgent posturing (see previous sentence for an instance of the sort of writing which is banned in this blog). So rather than surrender the high ground, I have resolved not to write about me and my New Year's resolutions, but instead to help other people. More specifically, I want to write about what your New Year's resolutions this year should be.

As I said in my initial posting, this blog is written for the benefit of a small audience; but as Ben has reminded me, one must expect one's employer (if one is employed) to be reading the blog as well, so I've tailored the resolutions appropriately according to the demographics of my audience.

Family

I resolve in 2007:

  • to visit Sam once a year
  • to take Sam out for a nice meal at least once a year
  • to send Sam care packages
  • to name my children Sam, be they masculine children or feminine children

Rachel Weisz

I resolve in 2007:

  • to ring Sam up and ask him for a date
  • to go on at least two mini-breaks with Sam
  • to say "yes" to Sam when he proposes

Employer

(if I had one)

Never change. Keep doing a beautiful, thoughtful, sensitive job.

4 comments:

Jennifer Elizabeth said...

Hmmm...actually, I can meet at least one of those sibling resolutions, but since Russian paperwork is costing a mint these days I expect you to foot the bill.

Sam said...

Right... I think that could be somewhat beyond my financial capacity at the moment.

bkessler said...

Saying a blog is self-obsessed is so fricking BRITISH. That's like when I was at St Andrews and I tried to start a business transcribing people's essays, and my friends really questioned the propriety of taking money in exchange for services, as if the concept of profiting was unseemly and conceited. The same mindset would say a blog is "self-obsessed" because the person saying it:

a) is insecure
b) is overly image-concious
c) has a stick up their ass

I dealt with that stuff all the time at St Andrews. It's very typical. Tell them to get overthemselves, and that you'll call them back next time you're looking for some feel-good depricating comments.

Phew. That's all. Oh, and really funny post. I was cracking up. Keep up the good work.

Me said...

Oh, I'm COMPLETELY self-obsessed. But as an American I'm free to admit it.