Wednesday 31 January 2007

Keep your eye on the ball: Globalisation


This isn't an old-fashioned, tweed-and-pipes rant on the ills of globalisation -- at least not of the kind promoted by vitriol-inked, wanna-be NPR luddites. No, this is a serious observation that, what with cultural and economic convergence, it's becoming increasingly difficult for me to identify my sporting home. Yeah, yeah, you can stop sniggering. I know I'm not a known sports buff. But it's not just me. While there are fairly obvious personal reasons why I support England as a football side, to prove my point, I only need to point to Brad. Although Tottenham Hotspur may be just another feather in his cap(s), isn't it odd that while he's selected a London team to support, I'm thinking it might be nice to support LA Galaxy (see ad, left). Anodyne, I realise, but then given Liverpool's behaviour today, I feel I had little choice but to move on. Without saying too much, let me just say it became personal.

Anyway, let's forget about sports altogether and focus on food. The soup pictured here is extraordinarily simple. Had a leek and some old cabbage at home. Bought a chicken from my butcher on Saturday. Made fresh chicken stock on Sunday. Cook leek, add chicken, stock, cabbage, salt and pepper, and voila! Football seems insignificant.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Mmm, soup.

Sam said...

You ok? I had no idea about that crash! Scary!

Hope you feel better. Come and have some soup.

Bradford said...

One problem with LA Galaxy is that you would have to then watch MLS soccer. Ugh. Maybe I can scrounge up enough cash to buy Liverpool? Also, even though I've only been at this Tottenham Hotspurs supporter thing for a year, I hate Arsenal. I'm talking about the really bad kind of hate too.

Megan said...

I'm fine now, just banged up a bit. I'm actually feeling a lot better this morning. Thanks for the soup; it helps the bruises.

Sam said...

Er, I think Liverpool would've been > $1bn, but I'm not sure.

Sorry about your hatred of Arsenal. I have a boring story about an Arsenal fan from when I was a trainee. Taught me to dislike Arsenal, too. Still, their stadium is cool (Emirates stadium).

Boy, I wish I didn't have so much insider information.

Ok, well, I wish David well, even if MSL is boring. Maybe he'll play for England again one day.

Sam said...

Why do you say that? Not that you're the first to say it. Just curious.

Me said...

It involves "intimate" text messaging.